Saturday, February 27, 2010

Gold Diggers & Gardeners

The house next door to me is vacant... My lovely old neighbor, Bill, died a couple years ago. He built the house in 1938 and lived there until he died. He was cool. I have one of his eclectic oil paintings hanging in my living room. When he died his kids sold the house. The guy that bought it is super cool too. His name is Gary and he's a plumber. He's renovating the house and then he's going to rent it out or move into it if he can convince his wife to leave their yuppie Sandy neighborhood. In the meantime, it sits vacant. I don't mind... I'd rather have no neighbors than crazy neighbors and the risk for crazy renting neighbors is pretty high. Every now and again I see people coming to the house to do work on it. The concrete people have been there a lot lately. But more than anyone (Gary included) I see these guys with their metal detectors and shovels. Gary has given them permission to dig around but it always makes me laugh to see them over there. What do they think they're going to find??? Gold?!?! Absolutely not... In fact, they are not going to find anything with any value unless it's spare change. But still, with each week that comes and goes so do the gold diggers. Makes my day every time too. Can't help but laugh when I see it. LOVE the butt shot!


Another thing that makes me happy is working in my mess of a yard. I've been meaning to get it all beautified for the past 4 years but there is just so much to do. I don't think the previous owners did anything with the yard. Ever. Lots and Lots of work. But that's ok. It really does help me feel a little less crazy and I get a huge amount of satisfaction out of completing even a small part of something in my yard. I will say it again... This is the year I am finally going to have my yard together. I know what you're thinking... "Yeah Right!" I kinda am too but really I am determined to accomplish the impossible task. My first big project is to build garden boxes. I'm convinced my vegetable garden will turn out better this year if everything is planted in a box. We'll see. I keep trying new things and each year my garden seems to improve some so I'm hoping this new idea will be another improvement and not a set back. I started the planning it out and putting it on graph paper yesterday. Today I started doing the physical labor part of it. These are my before photos... I will be sure to share photos of the finished project.

This corner is where most of the boxes will be. I'm going to put 7 in along that side of the yard.

This is the sandbox, flagstone patio and fire pit that I put in last year... This area will connect to the garden area. Then, the other side of the yard will be grass.

I'm sure you all still have no cluse what I'm talking about. It's hard to describe but it will be AMAZING when I'm done with it. I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment