I'm 26. In less than 3 weeks I will officially be a Mother-In-Law. In less than 10 weeks I will officially be a grandma. Holy cow. It's no secret that I've been having a hard time with this situation. I have my own feelings, experiences, and trauma with this kind of situation. It's been hard to see past all of it. But I have to. I really really have to. Because its not about me. Because its not my decision to make. Because its not directly my life. Because my job is to love and support. No. Matter. What. So that's what I'm doing. And I realized that this whole thing might be a lot easier for me if I would just surrender to it and make the best of it all. So I'm doing what any good Mother-In-Law would do and I'm taking time to get to know Maddie. I'm trying to let her know that I am here for them in my own little way... I'm taking her out to lunch today and then to do some shopping for stuff for Avery... you know, like any good Grandma would do. And I gave them Max's crib and changing table. And, I'm making the bedding for the crib. Trying to be a good grandma... My Grandma Long was an awesome grandma and she was always making me stuff so I figure I can make stuff for Avery and be the coolest 26 year old grandma you've ever seen. Besides, that is the best way that I show people I love them is by making them stuff. It's just what I do. I guess I get that from my grandma... Maybe Avery will get that from me? Wow. First time I've thought about it like that. I really hope that I can be the kind of Grandma and Mother-In-Law that will influence others like that. We'll ask Maddie and Avery in a few years how I'm doing. Hopefully I don't make too many mistakes. I'm new at this you know. :)
I had a great weekend. It was relaxed and low key and spent with people I love. I couldn't ask for anything better from a weekend. On Saturday I spent the day with Thayne, Kassidy and Max. We had lunch at The Rusted Sun Pizzeria (My all time favorite pizza place). Then we went out shopping. Kassidy is in search of a purse, we went to 4 or 5 stores but couldn't find one that she liked that was less than $70 and you would have to be insane to spend $70 on a purse for a 13 year old... or even for me for that matter. So after a day full of shopping we went home empty handed but it was still a great day.
Sunday after church we had my family over for dinner. Everyone except the 2 oldest of my siblings and my dad. (They all live out of town) My grandma even came. My brother from Monticello was in town with his adorable little family and their new baby Gabe. That was mostly why we got together. Everyone has been dying to meet Gabe. And my oh my is he a perfect little man. I shouldn't be surprised. They have the most perfect girls that there are. I adore Lily and Marah and now Gabe too. :) I held him most of the time. I was a serious baby hog but oh well. When they had to leave I didn't want to let him go. I could keep him forever and be happy with it. I'm not sure how happy Max would be with it though. He was having a little bit of a meltdown when he first saw me holding Gabe. Suddenly he wanted me to hold him too and that's a very rare occurance. :) It was cute. And he did get used to it. It was a really fun night and I loved spending some good time visiting with my family.
P.S. Sorry for the lack of pictures... I need a new camera :(
The other day I was going through some of my posts for the past year and I came across the one about New Year's last year. I talked about how 2009 was a tough year and that I hoped that 2010 would be better. Come to think of it, I've said that about the past 2 or 3 years. So, this year instead of saying "I hope that 2011 will be a really great year", I'm saying, Bring it on 2011! Give me all you got! I can take it. After the past few years I can definitely take it. Don't get me wrong, There have been many great moments and memories. Some of the best in my life in fact. But I have never been so stressed in my entire life... and I'm not a stressed out person in general. So maybe, just maybe, the universe will send me a little break if I tell it to give me all it's got. I think it's been trying to send me a message that I can't tell it what to do. Let's hope it works. I doubt it though. I have a lot coming up this year so if the universe isn't going to give me a break, just pray that I can get through everything with a little grace and my dignity. I guess that's all I can really ask for.
Here's what I am looking forward to in 2011 and I'm sure I'll have some surprises thrown in throughout the year too.
1. Tristyn is turning 18 in a couple weeks and will graduate in June. She is probably going to go to SUU in the fall. Another one of our kids is grown up. I can't believe it.
2. Kyle is getting married on February 5th. I can't believe that he is going to have a family of his own and that I am going to have a daugter-in-law. Sometimes I feel so old!
3. Kyle and Maddie will be welcoming their first child around March 25th. She will be the first grandchild on all sides of the family so there will be no shortage of spoiling and adoration for this little girl. Even though the idea of being a grandma does freak me out a little I can't wait to spoil her. Talk about feeling old sometimes!
4. Kassidy will turn 14 in June and start high school in August. Seriously! I know she will pass through it with flying colors... she is such a great girl and really has her head on straight. She is so mature for her age that even though part of me still believes she is still 6 there is another part of me that believes that she is a few years older than she is. Funny how that works.
5. This one already happened but it will take awhile for it to set in and seem real... Jakson turned 12 and was ordained a deacon on Sunday. I'm proud of the little man he is becoming and I pray every day that he will stand true to himself and what he believes. Life is so hard for kids these days and its hard to stand for what's right sometimes. I really hope that he will have the strength to do that.
There are a lot of other things with extended family that we also have to look forward to this year and I know that life will sneak up behind us with plenty of surprises too. This year is looking like it may be the busiest one yet but I am ready for it. So bring it on!
Life in our home is definitely a circus... but I love it. I have 4 step kids, a 4 year old super hero, almost 1 year old sweet girl, daughter-in-law and a 2 year old granddaughter to keep me on my toes. They are the highlight of my life and make me laugh every day.