Thursday, January 28, 2010

crazy busy

So, it has been a couple weeks since I've updated... I've been a slacker. And crazy busy. January is always a crazy month for us. This year more than usual though. So, I'm going to attempt to catch everyone up on the craziness... bear with me, this may be a record breaking long post.

Two saturdays ago was the busiest saturday I remember having in a long time. First and foremost, it was Tristyn's 17th birthday. Gosh, I love that girl. She brings me so much joy. I can't believe that she is 17. It's so strange how quickly they grow up. But I do enjoy it. I love my teenagers. It is so much fun being able to communicate with them on an adult level. We have many meaningful conversations and I'm so grateful for that. I have really lucked out with some amazing step kids. They have made the step-parenting thing very easy and natural for me. Tristyn and I have always had a great bond. Ever since the beginning when Thayne and I started dating. Any time I spend with her is great time. So, for her birthday, I spent the morning with her. She has been trying to grow her hair out for about 4 years. She just can't seem to get it to grow past her shoulders. That's why I thought that hair extensions would be the perfect gift for her. My friend and hair stylist, Jenny, gave us a great deal and did an amazing job. It was so much fun to sit and have girl talk all morning. 3 hours later... Tristyn's hair was down to her waist. It was a bit long so Jenny cut off a few inches so that Tristyn wouldn't accidently be tucking her hair into her pants. It looked amazing and I couldn't have been happier with the results... but most importantly, Tristyn was happy and couldn't stop smiling. It was worth every penny.
Sadly, I must report that there was a problem with the glue and most of the extensions have come out now. :( Tristyn has been really sad about it but thankfully, Jenny is able to get us in on Monday to get it fixed and restore the long luciousness that Tristyn loved so much. I am also going to learn how to do it so that I can fix it if there are any problems and so I can redo it every 3 months or so when it grows out.

During our salon time there was a baby shower going on for my friend Emily. Since I missed it I stopped by her house later to visit with her for a few minutes and give her the baby quilt I made for her. It was the first quilted quilt I'd ever made so it had some "charcter". But, I think that just makes it more fun. Emily loved it and agrees with my opinion on the character (much to my relief). It was so fun getting a chance to visit with her.

I also had another baby shower for my friend Cori. I hadn't seen Cori in such a long time and it was sad because in high school the two of us were attached at the hip. I have so many great memories with Cori and I was so excited to get to see her again. There were also quite a few people that we went to high school with so it was like a mini reuinion. It was a great way to spend my afternoon. I also made her a baby quilt... I call it my first one ever also because I made it at the same time as Emily's. It was made with lots of "character" too. :)

So, while I was out getting hair done and visiting old friends, Thayne was at home with Max helping my brother, Nathan, install new carpet in our basement. The kids all love the new carpet and are excited to repaint. We will be taking the kids to Lowe's on Saturday to pick out their paint colors. It is really exciting.

Max loved playing Twister on the new carpet.

Last, but not least, we went to see Thayne's dad, Craig at the VA Hospital. He had a massive heart attack. It started that Tuesday but he just thought he had the flu or something so he didn't go in until Friday when it became unbearable for him. He'd been having a heart attack for 4 days. It really is amazing that he is still alive. He was joking with us that people in his town call him the Maverick. I am happy to say that he is doing well and is recovering nicely. All of the doctors are amazed at how minimal the damage to heart was and how quickly he seems to be recovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment